Sunday, January 2, 2011

My thoughts on New Years

So another year is officially behind us and we say hello to 2011.  A lot of  people talk about resolutions, goals, hopes, etc.  New Years happens to be one of my least favorite holidays, partly because I have never really experienced a really fun or memorable one, and partly because I tend to get down in the dumps just in time for this holiday.  I also think it is way over-hyped, and to much emphasis is put on it being a new start, forget the troubles of the past year and everything is all the sudden cleared up and you can begin again.....that for me can be any day of the year, any day can be your new beginning.  Any day you can forget your mistakes of the past and start fresh.  Any day and everyday is a good day to make a goal or resolution, and why not make simple easy ones for each day, that are obtainable and doable, instead of focusing on a whole year.  Of course there are things I would like to improve on in my life, but I guess I prefer to take it one day at a time.  Who the heck knows what a whole years time will bring, it's usually A LOT, and a lot of it is completely unexpected.  One of my Best Friends, Yi, and I used to lay in bed at night and talk about where we thought we would be in life a year from now, 2 years from now, 5 years and so on.  And for both of us, it has been completely NOT what we thought or planned.  For me, I can say that,  I never in a thousand years, thought I would be right where I am today, but I also LOVE where I am in life, and feel very blessed and happy about it.  I wouldn't change my path and my life for anything.  I would love to have some control over my life and my path, wouldn't we all....but then it wouldn't be what it is and the adventure and lessons would be lost.  I know everything happens for a reason, even if we have no clue why at the time, and that is what makes life so beautiful and magical.  Another thing about New Years that bothers me is what if you happen to be in a not-so-good place in your life at the time, when the clock strikes midnight is that magically supposed to make it all better.  No.  Again with this build up and hype, only to be let down that you are still stuck in whatever circumstances you are unhappy about.  Some things just take time, change cannot happen over night.  Maybe I am a bit of a ''Negative Nancy'' on this one, and maybe someday my feelings will change about New Years, but so far my experience has been this.  It seems more like just any other day to me, although I do love any excuse to pop open a bottle of wine ;)

As for resolutions, goals, and hopes for the year ahead I have only thought this:  2010 was a good year for me, I was happy, healthy, safe, loved, and so were the people I care most about.  So, all I hope for 2011 is more of the same goodness.  I hope to continue learning, growing, loving.  I hope for good health for me and my loved ones.  And I ask for the Lord to continue to watch over me and my family and protect us.  It's funny cause financially speaking, I am the most poor I  have ever been in my life, yet I can honestly say I have been the happiest I have ever been in my life...so now I can say with 100% certainty that money does not buy happiness.  The more simply I live, the less stresses, and more energy is spent focusing on what is important in life, and that is relationships. I should note that having less money does not mean you still don't worry about not having money....I still worry about it!!!  But I suppose one can be happy and still have worries.  Somehow God gives me just what I need, and it is enough :)

1 comment:

  1. http://amorsinfronteras712.blogspot.com/

    Here is mine so follow me, but I am going to warn you I have not blogged in a while. I wanted to write one up a huge update but I haven't had the time so one is coming soon! But I will read more of yours soon! Gotta go to bed the kids will be crazy tomorrow! HA lol long day ahead of me.. Nice to meet you!

    Abby

    ReplyDelete